Our Story & Values
Welcome to your neighborhood flower shop! Locaflora is committed to reviving the love of local, seasonal flowers in Gettysburg PA.
We curate a collection of flowers grown within 100 miles of Gettysburg, as well as house plants and botanical gifts that we think are pretty rad (and we hope you will too!).
Ema Hegberg: Plant Fairy Godmother / Shop Assistant
"My love for plants started as a child, with an alphabet book of herbs and spices that taught me about anise, barberry and quinine. Books and research were the first ways I connected with plants. As a teenager I spent hours reading about the Language of Flowers, plant history and folklore. As an anthropology major studying local food systems, I finally got my hands dirty when I started interning and later working on small organic vegetable farms. My love for the plant world continues to grow through studying herbalism, botanical dyeing, gardening, and now, having the honor to be part of Locaflora."
We Choose Local
Did you know that imports account for about 64% of fresh flowers sold by dollar volume in the United States. Although we are certain that the global floral industry plays an important role in modern economy, it does so at extreme environmental cost, deep social injustice, *and* the death of many US flower farms since the 1970’s. Out of a love for both people and planet, we’ve chosen to return to the lost tradition of sourcing flowers locally.
By partnering exclusively with PA and MD farmers and makers who are within 100 miles of Gettysburg, we are making a stand to take floristry back to its roots.
- To value the work of flower growers in our region
- To support local economy
- To cultivate strong community relationships
- To set an example of strong inclusivity for our neighbors
- To fairly compensate our flower (and gift) producers
- To reduce the number of miles your bouquet travels (and the energy it consumes)
- To reduce the waste (especially plastic) associated with your flowers
- To value the process and natural resources necessary to grow flowers
- To live in each season - appreciating it while it lasts
- To lead the local floral industry in taking responsibility for global climate change
Need something? Have a comment? We love those! Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org